Welcome to Church of the Advent
We look forward to meeting you and worshiping together!
We understand that walking into a new church can sometimes be an intimidating experience. Whether you’re looking for a church home, actively seeking a faith community, exploring Christianity, or exploring your own beliefs and values, our goal is to create an inviting, warm and welcoming community of faith and to assist and encourage all to become a part of our family.
When you arrive:
- Greeters welcome you at our entrance and offer a bulletin. Our bulletin is user-friendly, containing the complete service.
- Greeters will also ask you to sign our Guest Book and offer you a name tag.
- Ushers will seat you. If you have a preference of where you would like to sit (front, middle, or back of the church), please let your usher know, and they will do their best to accommodate you.
- Our worship service is approximately an hour long, and we gather in the Parish Hall following the service for coffee and fellowship.
- All children are welcome in the church! They are! We really do love children and no one will stare if your child makes noise or becomes “fussy.” The Narthex (Entry Area) is available if you feel the need for a quiet place or time-out.
During the Service:
- Episcopal worship services offer many different styles, ranging from very formal, with vestments and incense, to informal services with contemporary music. Yet all worship in the Episcopal Church is based in the Book of Common Prayer, which gives worship a familiar feel, no matter where you go.
- Worship in the Episcopal Church is liturgical. The congregation follows service forms and prayers that follow the Lectionary and The book of Common Prayer. We provide the whole service in the weekly bulletin, including music, prayers, and readings.
- For the first-time visitor, liturgy may be exhilarating or confusing. At Church of the Advent, the service includes standing, sitting and kneeling, as well as sung or spoken responses, that may provide a challenge for the first-time visitor. Please feel free to do only what you are comfortable with – we understand as we were all new too!
We invite all Baptized Christians, of all denominations,
to receive communion.
We approach Holy Communion repentant of our sins and believing it to be a means of God’s grace and an expression of the presence of Jesus Christ. We hope that all who worship and share Communion with us find their lives strengthened and enriched.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Holy Communion will be administered to the congregation only in the Bread. We believe that we receive the full benefit of the sacrament even when we receive in one Kind only. If you do not wish to receive Communion but wish only to receive a blessing, please cross your arms over your chest.
children are welcome!
They are! We love children and no one will stare if your child makes noise or becomes “fussy.” The Narthex (Entry Area) is available if you feel the need for a quiet place or time-out.
Sunday School is offered throughout the school year and will resume Fall 2021.
Is there a dress code?
No! Though some people do like to “dress up” for church, we encourage everyone to wear whatever they are comfortable wearing! God doesn’t mind, and neither do we.
Since we are in South Florida, we do keep the church building cool and suggest a lightweight sweater for those that might feel the chill.
We believe the most important membership is when an individual or family chooses to participate in the larger life of the parish community. This is a “member” who enjoys the variety of fellowship and worship opportunities offered and engages in the everyday life of the parish community.
Another form of membership involves paperwork, transfers, etc. If you would like to learn more about transferring your membership, please contact the church office at 772-283-6221 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.